April 7, 2015
RELEASE: Excel National Applauds Nevada Legislature for Expanding Education Options
Legislation gives power of school choice to parents and students
Tallahassee, Fla. – Today, Excellence in Education National (@Excel_National) Executive Director Patricia Levesque issued the following statement on the Nevada Senate passing the Nevada Educational Choice Scholarship Program (AB 165). The program will provide tax credit scholarships for families in need of high-quality school options for their children’s education. The Nevada Assembly passed AB 165 on April 1.
“Nevada’s students deserve every opportunity for a successful education. We thank Senate Majority Leader Michael Roberson for his leadership in shepherding the Nevada Educational Choice Scholarship Program legislation and the Nevada Senate for recognizing that choice is a powerful tool to ensure children have access to a school that best fits their learning needs. This is a great win for the students of Nevada. We look forward to Governor Brian Sandoval’s signature on this legislation as this is a top priority for his administration.”
Facts about the Nevada Educational Choice Scholarship Program (AB 165):
- The Nevada Educational Choice Scholarship Program will make Nevada the 15th state in the nation to pass a tax credit scholarship program, which provides tax credits to businesses and individuals who donate to non-profit organizations that award tuition scholarships to eligible students.
- These programs rely on private, voluntary donations from taxpayers – not state or local funds.
- The Nevada Educational Choice Scholarship Program allows students of families who are at 300 percent of the poverty level or lower to apply for a scholarship.
- The program is capped at $5 million in credits in year one and grows by 10 percent each year thereafter.
- In 2013-14 alone, the 14 states with tax credit scholarship programs educated nearly 200,000 students.
For more information visit www.ExcelNational.org.